Real Life Incident (names and locations have been removed to protect patient’s identity)
On 20-22nd October 2015 I attended your first aid course which was taken by Richard Bottomley, Green Cross Trainer.
Part of the course involved CPR methods and actions and whilst on this subject Richard introduced us to the defibrillator and made us aware of how using this equipment can vastly improve a patient’s chance of survival if their heart has stopped.
Throughout the course Richards teaching methods were always reassuring, encouraging and informative in such a way that was easy to understand.
Personally I am not the most confident of people, but I felt the way that Richard taught the course gave me reassurance, knowledge and felt I could be helpful in any medical situation which might arise, perhaps not as soon as what follows!
On the night of Sunday 25th October, my second shift back to work after the course, an incident occurred.
The shop was closed and only the night shift colleagues were in store. I was working on another department, when I heard rhythmic, repetitive counting (1 2 3 4...1 2 3 4...),I looked down and saw that a fellow employee had started administering CPR to a collapsed colleague. With Richards voice ringing through my head of staying calm and focused and the vastly improved chance my colleague would have with a defibrillator, I ran to the scene. When I got there I ascertained that it wasn't present yet, so I ran to fetch it. On returning I switched the machine on and followed the instructions it gave.
It was understandably a highly charged, tense, distressing and frightening situation for not just myself, but for everyone there. Despite this I could still hear Richard's voice telling me the importance of staying calm and focused and tried to act accordingly and with what had already been done for our colleague, I tried to gather the information that would be required by the ambulance crew, such as the time he had collapsed and what had been done, such as when was CPR administered, how many times and what time our colleague now our patient been shocked. This procedure had to be done twice before we got his heart beat back. We later found out he'd suffered a massive heart attack.
Medical staff arrived and we informed them of what had transpired and he was subsequently taken to hospital, where he remains still in a critical condition, but alive!
I feel my colleague is alive as a direct result of Richards teachings and the manner in which they were delivered and I want to thank him most wholeheartedly! He should take pride in knowing as a result of what he taught me undoubtedly saved my colleagues life!
Thank you Richard!